Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Week 4 Reading Diary:Rama and the Monkeys


The story begins with a description of Ayodhya and the king Dasaratha. This version and the previous version of the Rmayana that I have read have both began with the description of the city and the king. I plan on starting my stories in the same way. In this version it describes how great the city is I want to start of in an opposite description of the city in my story. In this story Vishnu himself choses to become the son of the king in order to come down to earth and fight Ravana who from the beginning is described as the main threat to society. The Gods in this story create the Monkeys to become helpers of Rama in defeating Ravana. These are very interesting changes in the previous version of the Ramayana that I read. Vali is mentioned in this story which from my previous knowledge was Sargiva’s brother. In my story book project, I am actually talking about Hanuman and Surgiva. I am interested in the scene where Rama wins Sita by breaking a bow in half. In this story Rama has a favorite brother Lakshamana which is actually one of my favorite characters. I find the scene where Bharata’s mother takes advantage of the king just to grant her son the throne crucial to the story. Rama and his favorite brother express an immense sense of brotherhood. In this versions Surpanakha openly tries to kill Sita. In my old recount of the story I did not mention the golden deer which I plan on talking about.  In this version of the story Rama kills Vali but in a slightly different manner than the previous version of the story I read. There is a vulture king who I presume to be Sampati who is Jatayu’s brother. The group then sets out to find Sita.

Hanuman: Harekrsna


No comments:

Post a Comment