Thursday, February 18, 2016

Storytelling Week 5: Family Dispute on Live TV!

The story will take place in a talk show where families discuss their issues on live TV. The families in todays show will be the Panduvas and the Kauravas. They have been having many disputes especially with their cousin Duryodhana. The show goes on air in 1,2,3. LIVE!

Host: Okay let’s welcome these two families!

Audience: (Audience begins to clap and yell)

Host: Okay so let’s begin with you Pandu (Panduva’s dad). What can you start of with?

Pandu: Well let me just say that this family is full of hatred towards us because they hate that we are kinder and more successful people. They cannot stand it and decide to take it out on my wife, children, and my daughter in law. I am currently cursed for killing a sage. I’m worried that this is why my children have problems with these people.

Host: What do you have to say Dhritarashtra (Kauravas’ dad)?

Dhritarashtra: Well I’m not sure but these kids have to have done something to my poor child Duryohana. All I hear him say is how much those Panduva kids get on his last nerve.

Host: So let me introduce a new member to the stage. Drona will you please come in. So Drona, I have heard that you are the teacher who has taught both group of boys how to fight and live in the hard wilderness. Is this true? (Drona enters. Crowd cheers.)

Drona: Yes, it is true.

Host: I also heard it is because of you that Bhima meet Draupadi.

Drona: Yes, this is also true. Instead of paying me with money for training the Panduvas I asked them to help me take her out but as you can see that back fired. At the time of battle Bhima feel in love and decided to marry this woman. I can’t say that I agree but what can I say?

Host: Bhima (one of the Panduva brothers) how do you come into this conflict?

Bhima: Well let me just start of by saying how much I hate the Kaurava’s especially Duryodhana. Those good for nothing people tried to kill my brothers,mother, and me. They set fire to our house!

Duryodhana: You deserved it!

Bhima: Shut up! You better hope I find Draupadi!

Host: Woah! Calm down!

Bhima: Any way me and my brothers had to live in the woods for awhile and one day Duryodhana decided to approach us and challenge us to a game of dice. I am a man of luck so I decided why not! He wanted me to place my wife for the bet and so I decided I would but what I did not know was that he had the game rigged!

Duryodhana: HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Bhima: (Jumps over to Duryodhana and they begin to battle on stage!)

Host: STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bhima: So I lost my wife and as a man of my word I had to give her up. I wanted to grab her but I would be cursed by the gods if I did not keep my word. As he was taking my wife away he was taunting me because he saw me cry of anger and sadness. He said to me “Speak and say, thou who dost ever speak truly, hast thou lost thy kingdom and thy brethren and thine own self?”

Duryodhana: Well shut up now let me speak. I decided to challenge them to another game and they lost again so they had to leave once again the kingdom they had rebuilt. He is a man of bad luck if you ask me!

(The Panduvas stand up and initiate a brawl with the Kauravas)

Host: We will continue our show next week people! Please exit the building immediately!
First Gambling Match: BlogSpot



Author’s note: My story is based on the Public Domain Edition of Mahabharata specifically part A & B. The story speaks of many characters but I decided to mainly focus on the hatred between the Panduvas and Kauravas because I feel like lots of the action was portrayed into their scenes. I begin by introducing the father of both set of brothers because I feel like that’s where the conflict begins. There is one specific character in the Kauravas who has it against the Panduvas and that’s Duryodhana. He is jealous because of their success. He first burns the palace where the Panduva’s and their mother live. Drona did teach them to fight and live in the wilderness so their mother and the boys lived in the woods for a while. Drona did ask the brothers to help him defeat a female deity that Bhima did love for while. Draupadi was actually the wife of a different Panduva brother but Bhima loved her as well and was the only one willing to fight for her. The other brother, Yudhisthira, was actually the one who lost her in the dice game and it was his lose also that caused them to get exiled from the new kingdom the Panduvas had built. The quote in my story was actually said to Yudhisthira because he wasn’t doing a thing while Duryodhana made her his slave.

3 comments:

  1. Haha it's like an episode of Jerry Springer, Mahabharata edition!

    All joking aside, that was a fun read. Loved the way you emphasized Bhima and Duryodhana's rivalry. I thought it was interesting that you made Bhima the primary brother, and attributed some of the things that happneed to his brothers to him. It definitely made their feud a lot more intense, but even after reading your author's note, I still don't know why you did this. You never really explain.

    Other than a few typos (you use 'of' instead of 'off') my biggest gripe about this is the first paragraph. Starting it off with such an objective statement like "This story will take place in a talk show..." totally threw me off. You don't need to say it like this. I thought I was reading your author's note, not the actual story.

    I think you should start off with the host explaining the premise of the show instead. That way it makes sense within the context of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis,

    I think your story and the brawl was pretty funny. I could see the tension building between the guest. I think you put a lot of thought into it. Using the hatred between the Panduvas and Kauravas was a good choice. You did a good job on your author's note. It gave me more insight on why you chose this topic to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again Alexis,

    Ha! This is such a fun story!!! I actually did my portfolio over Draupadi and most of my story was on a tv show. I think it would have been really cool to have more audience interaction. It really makes the story more fun and interactive!

    I must say the argument is hilarious. You did a really good job!

    Ollie

    ReplyDelete